Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I Have a Suicidal Dog Who is Either a Sleeper Agent or Sound of Music Hater...

Well, I officially do not believe in the flu shot. Back in October I thought I would be good and get my free flu shot (thanks to work). I also thought that I was in the clear, seeing as its almost February. I was wrong. Very wrong. I woke up Saturday morning, ran my errands and put in a good hour at the gym. I was fairly worn out that afternoon but blamed it on the workout. I got a headache that night but chalked it up to the changing weather. When I woke up on Sunday, I could not pull myself out of bed. And it all went downhill from there. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the flu is seriously going around DC which means that I had absolutely no problem getting my box of Tamiflu and other medications Monday morning. I am still waiting for them to heal me...

Needless to say I've spent the last few days laying in bed. To add insult to injury, it looks like I am one of the unfortunate souls who has a negative reaction to Tamiflu, which has made me feel even worse. Luckily, I have two fluffy dogs who were more than willing to cuddle and watch movies with me.


Now, to the real purpose of this post. I think Scarlett is suicidal and/or hates the Sound of Music. And I'm not sure which would be worse. Here are the facts. I fell asleep about 10:30 last night with Scarlett curled up on my shoulder and Rhett dead asleep on my back. When Caleb came to bed a few hours later, he found that Scarlett had dug one of my old razors out of the bottom of the bathroom trash can and was attempting to eat it. She was chewing on the blade! Busted...



After we checked he mouth and made sure she wasn't cut and hadn't swallowed any of it, we went to bed. But I've had all day today to agonize over why in the world she would try to eat a razor. I have come to 2 hypotheses: 1) I watched too many action thrillers yesterday and it made her suicidal. 2) She hates the Sound of Music.

1) Too Many Thrillers Hypothesis - I've watched several thrillers lately, not just movies. I've also taken to watching the new Kevin Bacon TV show "The Following" (which I do not recommend to most seeing as it is quite gruesome. SPOILER ALERT - There is a serial killer who idolizes Edgar Allen Poe in his murders, including cutting out their eyes. Ew. But its very intriguing). We have also been watching Season 1 of Homeland, which even includes an episode where a razor blade is sneaked in to a terrorist so he can kill himself! So clearly these dark shows have been giving my sweet fluffy dog bad ideas! Either that, or she is a sleeper spy/terrorist, thought that I was onto her by watching all these shows and decided she too must find a razor. I am hoping that this is not the case, but I guess only time will tell.



2) Sound of Music Hater - I'm not too sure I like this theory either. The Sound of Music is one of my all-time favorite movies. No matter what, it makes me happy. So, I've been watching it on a daily basis. I put it on at night and fall asleep listening to edelweiss. It's glorious... but maybe it was too much for Scarlett. Maybe she is on the side of the Nazis and wanted the von Trapps to be caught! She is a Pomeranian, from Pomerania which is part of East Germany.... Watching the Von Trapps escape over the mountains night after night may have been too much for her so she went in search of a razor. I don't think this possibility can be ruled out.



Needless to say, my dog has a problem. If anyone can suggest a good treatment center for troubled pomeranians, I am open to suggestions : ) Seriously though, consider this a public service announcement for anyone with dogs in the house. Be sure that all sharp objects are kept in a place that there is absolutely no way for your pet to find. You just never know what will set them off in search of a razor blade.

So, to keep things interesting (and see who is actually still reading the ole blog), I'm taking a poll. Why do YOU think Scarlett went searching for a razor? Depression? Sleeper agent? Sound of Music hater? Other reasons?

3 comments:

  1. Dogs are drawn to gross things that have been in contact with your body? Gross, but true. They do, afterall, eat poop. Yuck. But probably totally normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny. I don't think Scarlett is suicidal however. My dog also loves to eat razors. As stupid as I think that makes her she actually (the one time she got her paws on one) ate the whole thing EXCEPT for the blades and metal binding part. I was amazed but also freaked out. So ultimately, i think Scarlett went after it because dogs like to eat gross things and I bet she is perfectly happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Scarlett is trying to tell all that will listen that N0-No hair removal systems mentioned in the last post are totally unnecessary and that everyone should support old-fashioned products like razors. They do the job for less than $5, perhaps she is also publicizing frugality as well? Perhaps she reads your blog posts in her spare time and just wants to be supportive to topics you are covered?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete