Thursday, May 9, 2013

You Never Know Unless You TRI

Well, I'm pretty sure nobody reads my little blog anymore - most likely because of my winter hiatus (I blame the extra long DC winter) - but decided I wanted to chronicle this event anyways. It seems a little surreal to me that I am packing tonight for my first triathlon. That's right, I said triathlon.





I'm sure you are thinking one of 3 things right now:

1) WHAT!!!!! Are you crazy? Don't you realize you've gotten REALLY out of shape and gained ALOT of weight the last few years?

2) Um.... aren't those really hard and isn't it still kind of cold in DC?

3) It's about time! Back to your competitive athletic roots! Glad you are coming out of a 5+ year exercise/healthy lifestyle hibernation.

Let me address all 3:

1) Yes, I am in fact crazy and nobody realizes more than me just how overweight and out of shape I've gotten the last few years. But, yes, the dropped hints and looks of pity were also helpful in pointing out the obvious to myself - so although I resented them in the moment, I can thank you now for your concern. I also appreciate you (most of you) not saying anything to my face. I could make alot of excuses about being busy and my bum ankle, but the long and short of it is, life is hard. I didn't make the best healthy choices in college (not sleeping for 4 years, pretty much living off of queso and Dr. Pepper and going to the gym a total of 5 times) and then getting married and moving halfway across the country was hard!

When we got to DC, I chose to wallow in the busyness that is our lives, refused to do anything but drink Starbucks and curl up in bed when its cold outside (7+ months a year), ate alot of fast food, not exercise, and so on and so forth. Yes, I was very aware that I was doing it, but I felt like I was doing the best I could to just survive. Don't get me wrong, our lives are good and we are happy. But our transition to DC was anything but easy and in the process of keeping everything else together, healthy eating and exercise and even life decisions just got put on the backburner. A few crash diets, and 2 years worth of a gym membership later, I still was still unhappy and packing on the pounds. I knew I needed to try something different. Enter triathlons.

I've always been athletic and competitive. I LOVE to challenge myself beyond my abilities. I knew that maybe instead of focusing on "losing weight" I should focus on something competitive that would result in getting healthy along the way. I considered running clubs/training for a marathon, but honestly long-distance running is not my thing. I've never enjoyed running much further than a 200 meter sprint :) I have several friends that do triathlons, some do it competitively others for recreation. They inspired me! I reached out for some advice and have some questions answered and did ALOT of research. I learned how to swim as a kid - not competitively or anything, but enough I can swim and not drown. I know how to ride a bike, although I haven't been on one since my bike got stolen from campus my sophomore year in college. And of course, I knew I could learn to run long distances. After lots of emails, phone calls and attending info clinics, I chose to join a local team. I knew having structured workouts and a team atmosphere would encourage accountability. More on my team later...

2.) Yes, triathlons are VERY hard and it is still coldish in DC. I swam in a quarry last weekend and the water was about 60 degrees. Given that I wear a fleece when the air temp drops below 70, that was cold. It literally took my breath away. BUT, I am learning that with good training and proper gear, I will survive and get used to it. One of the quotes that gets tossed around the team alot is, "there is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing." Although the training hasn't resulted in the weight loss I wanted (yet) I am definitely in much better shape, healthier, and strengthening muscles I never knew I had - believe me, I know, because my body pretty much hurts constantly! In a good way, of course :)

3.) That's right, I'm back! For better or worse. It has been an adjustment realizing that I am not 18 anymore, my body is different, my abilities are different and my goals and expectations should be different. I was so disappointed the first time I got on my bike and was out of breath pretty much immediately. My first swim lesson, which I expected to rock, I ended up in the baby lane - and I stayed there for the next 8 weeks. I still swim in that lane from time to time. But you know what, that's okay. I didn't learn to be an a great sprinter overnight. It's a process, but its another reason why I love my team. Okay, here I go with my plug for Team Z.

Team Z is awesome because they are a family. Whether you are young or old, an Ironman going to Kona or a beginner who doesn't even own a bike and can't swim, they accept you and embrace you. They will literally hold your hand and teach you everything you need to know. You get out of it what you put in. Although they push me to my limits - which I am embarrassed to admit once involved a crying tantrum in the pool using words my mom would not approve of and throwing a pool buoy (yikes!) - they do it in a constructive and positive way. So don't get me wrong, they don't let me off the hook when they know I can do more, but they respect my limits.

So, since mid-February, I have been working out 6 days a week, twice a day four times a week and a long run and ride on the weekends. When I started, a long run was 1 mile. Now, its 8. When I first started, I couldn't even stay on my bike without crashing. Last weekend, I rode 30 miles in hills and was even able to take my hands off the handlebars to make some signals to cars! My swimming is improving by the week.

So, as I type this blog, I am packing for my first race (crazy how much stuff that is for such a short race!)


I am excited and terrified at the same time. On Sunday I am racing the Kinetic Sprint Triathlon at Lake Anna, VA. It is a .5 mile swim, 15.5 mile bike ride, and 3.1 mile run. I'm going to spend the entire weekend at Lake Anna - there is a half Ironman on Saturday - those people are NUTS (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run) and I want to watch and cheer them on. Team Z is making a full weekend out of it, including tents with satellite TV, 3 hot meals a day cooked on the grill, and tons of fun! I am feeling a bit nervous, especially about the swim, and more than one person has volunteered to take me on a practice swim on Saturday and help me get everything ready.

One of the other great things about our team is that they stay to the end. And I do mean the very end. Even when everyone from Team Z has finished, they stay and cheer on the very last competitor to the finish. Since that could very well be me, I like that : )

I am really having to manage my expectations. I've only been training for 2 months and have a looooong way to go. I want to be competitive and absolutely do the best I possibly can, but at the same time, recognize that this first race is just for the experience of it. I want to ENJOY it and have FUN without putting too much pressure for myself. My "goal" is to finish and do everything I can to finish.... oh, and not drown or get hurt (that's for you mom!)

So, when you wake up on Mother's Day you can think of me and send positive vibes, good luck and say prayers for me. The race starts at 9am and I should be done by 11:30 or 12:00. I will definitely do a recap of the race - including a picture of me in a full body wetsuit (hilarious) so be sure to check back! I will leave you with the hilarious "toast" a teammate sent to us this evening. It really made me laugh. If nothing else, you can wish me the following:

"May the waves always be outside your mouth, the headwinds always at your back, and the sinkholes always on the other side."

(Lake Anna)

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie this is so awesome!! I'm so happy and excited for you. You're not alone in doing what we've got to do to survive. I've realized too in the past year I'm not 20 anymore too. I finally got myself back to running twice a day, but that's nothing compared to all your training! You've inspired me to do more to be healthier! Can't wait to hear how the race goes, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw this, CONGRATS on your first triathlon!! Training for a goal race is a fabulous way to stay focused, and you'll make huge strides in your fitness level and health without even realizing it. Proud of you! Keep at it (and keep us updated), and know if you ever want to do a Texas triathlon I'll be right there with you :)

    ReplyDelete