Sunday, March 6, 2011

Take Me Out to the Ballgame.... Or not

Well, I am officially a sports reporter for the school newspaper, The Hatchet. I laugh everytime I say that... who names their school paper the hatchet? We figure its because good ol' George used a hatchet to cut down that cherry tree, but who knows? Anyways, I've decided to be a sports reporter and I officially received my first assignment. Today I was assigned a women's double header softball game!

If you know me at all, you know that I LOVE softball. I played it for years and my dad helped to coach my team. Thinking about my assignment this week made me think back on all my great softball memories. Our team was originally called the Lookouts. We had these AWESOME hats with giant eyeballs on them... the official hats of the actual Lookouts team. Our team was made up of a bunch of girls who had never played before, but after lots of practice we became a pretty awesome team. In fact, one year we played a division up we were so good. We then morphed into the Braves when we turned to fast-pitch. Thinking back, we had some pretty great memories... winning the championship with exactly the minimum number of players needed to play, coaches that loved us... even when we complained about practicing in the Texas heat, and lots of fun swim parties with my friend Caroline (who had a pet goat) house. There were also some rough memories, like practicing my pitching with my mom and hitting her in the face with a pitch so hard that her eye was black for weeks, hitting a line drive off a girl's thigh and then being mad when my coach wouldn't let me run all the way around the bases while she cried on the field (it was a live ball! just because she couldn't stand up doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to score right? haha), and playing an entire season with a cast on my hand and it wedged up in my glove.

BUT, softball is a great sport so I was super enthused to get the assignment. I packed up my pad and pen to take notes and threw a granola bar in my bag so I'd have a snack last night. I could barely sleep I was so excited. And, when I woke up, it was raining.... I know from experience you can play softball in the rain, but then I checked the weather and it predicted 100% chance of thunderstorms and a flood warning all afternoon. So I threw on my rain slicker and headed up to campus only to have my editor tell me that the game was cancelled. So disappointing!!! But, he promised that in the future I would get first dibs on softball games since I actually understand the game and got rained out today.

So.... I'm officially a sports reporter with nothing to report for today except for heavy rain and a long afternoon of paper writing. Oh well, maybe its God's way of telling me I should actually spend some serious time on homework today. Until next time, this is Stephanie, signing off.
(check out how skinny I was... and tan! man... the good ol' days)

No comments:

Post a Comment