Friday, October 28, 2011

An Apple Bird and the Amish

Well... I got no comments on the blog post. I did get a few emails from relatives... and a complaint from my mom that there was nothing to comment about on a tomato soup recipe.... but I will continue to write for you few faithful followers.

In her complaint about the tomato soup recipe, my mom also made significant fun of my saying that I can carve an apple out of a bird. Just to spite her, please watch as I transform an apple into a bird:

First, I give you the apple: 


And, like magic, I give you..... a bird!



Admit it... you're impressed! This is one of the many things I've learned at my Bible study that I've been going to every Thursday morning. It's actually called apples to gold and there are about 10 older ladies from the church who mentor 6 of us younger ladies in the church. We meet for 3 hours. The first hour is for demonstrations... accessorizing (yes, I learned some things!), how to cook a chicken, flower arrangements, etiquette, and yes, even how to carve an apple out of a bird. If you think this is impressive, you should see me make a pear into a mouse!

But enough about that. Caleb and  I had been looking forward to last weekend since the summer. We really wanted to go on a fun trip over the summer but just didn't have the money. We ended up booking a weekend for a bed and breakfast in Amish country and I have been not so patiently waiting. It actually came at a perfect time. We just finished midterms and could both use a relaxing weekend.

We booked these two crazy ladies for a weekend adventure in the same pen. (luckily they did not kill each other and were quite tired and had clearly bonded when we got them back)

 And we were off to Amish country! We stayed in a bed and breakfast in New Holland, Pennsylvania. It was about 4 miles from Intercourse (no laughter please), 10 miles from Intercourse and right in the heart of farms! We ended up shopping (Caleb's favorite), trying different Amish foods, wandering through the farms to find the perfect pumpkin, and dining at a traditional Amish farm with an Amish family. Of course, I can't forget our true highlight of the weekend...... SONIC!
I don't think I can emphasize how much we miss being able to go get a sonic drink whenever we want. They LITERALLY do not have sonics in Virginia. The closest one is in Baltimore... over an hour a way. But there was one about 15 minutes from our b&b. We may or may not have gone more than once each day... don't judge!

I honestly didn't take many pictures and didn't get any of us - the amish don't like having their picture taken and I felt awkward asking them to take a picture for us... but I did get a pic of our room! It was so nice to be able to turn on the fireplace and just relax!




But this week has been back to reality... work and school for the both of us... and the added drama of the rangers and the world series. I'm watching Game 7 as we speak. I'm so nervous I needed to do something else to distract myself... At the moment its not looking too good...

Well, I think that is all I have for today. Check back on Sunday if you would like to meet Katie Fishman and Virgo Arp. I promise you won't be disappointed....

1 comment:

  1. The apple bird is interesting but I really loved the quilt on the Amish bed and that you finally showed the bangs Grandma told me about weeks ago. You look good and glad you had a good time. Sorry about our Rangers, it's a bit like being a lifetime Cubs fan, some real highs but some real heartbreaks.

    ReplyDelete