Thursday, October 6, 2011

September

WOW! Time flies... so sorry blog readers. I promise (again - fingers crossed!) to update more often. September really has been a crazy, but fun month! Instead of writing a novel, here is a top 10 list of our month of September (in no specific order):

1.) Rhett gained an entire pound and got groomed for the first time.

We are still really enjoying the new addition to our family. Scarlett and Rhett get along... for the most part. Rhett is definitely the dominant of the pair, which is funny to watch since Scarlett weighs 11 pounds and Rhett weighs a whopping 3 pounds. They like to fight over toys/bones and chase each other around the couch. I just wish potty-training was going better...





2.) I planted a garden!

I have always loved plants and I definitely missed them living on the 9th floor. So, as soon as we moved here, I needed a garden! Caleb made me start with just a few flowers and told me I had to keep them all alive for 2 weeks before I could have more. They all made it (well...except one... that just happened to croak 2 days after my new plants arrived)... so I upgraded from flowers to vegetables. I am growing brocolli, cauliflower, 2 types of cabbage, romaine lettuce, basil, mint, thyme, parsley, dill, sage, rosemary and cilantro and I have a very nicely growing raspberry bush. I am very proud of myself : ) 








3.) The Aggies joined the SEC


I honestly don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. But at least all of the drama is over and I have to look forward to Caleb's team destroying mine for years to come.... oh well. 

4.) My mom came to visit!!!

This was definitely the highlight of the month. We really miss having family around, so having my mom come for a few days was like heaven. We went to the movies, toured the Pentagon, played with the dogs, and celebrated my birthday a little bit early! We ate at a restaurant called Art & Soul in DC and it was DELICIOUS!!! It was super special to actually be able to celebrate my birthday with my mom. Plus, I think she had a GREAT time, which should be taken as bribery for more of you blog readers to come visit! We have a guest bed and everything!!!!



5.) I have a new obsession - the farmer's market

I hate to admit it, but I LOVE the local farmers market. It comes to my grocery store parking lot every friday afternoon/evening. I usually stray away from the popular fads going around, but I have to admit that I'm totally sold on and buying and eating locally grown foods. The vegetables are SO fresh, the eggs do really taste better, and the meat is incredible. But honestly, my favorite is the pasta lady - she makes homemade pastas and sauces. I think my favorite is red bell pepper and sage pasta with parmesean tomato sauce. AMAZING! I am sad it only comes once a week and will end at the end of October. I'm not sure what I will do until spring...

6.) We remembered September 11

It is crazy to think that we are 10 years out from 9/11. It is strange to think that I was only a freshman in high school the day that I watched the towers fall and the pentagon burn and now here I am actually working at the pentagon today. It's crazy. It was also a very solemn time to live here. It also marked the 10 year anniversary since Caleb came to DC for the first time. He was waiting outside of the White House on 9/11 to go in for a tour. It was really an interesting day for us to think back on the last 10 years.

7.) My cousin Heidi came to town.

My cousin Heidi lives in NJ and came to DC for work for an evening. It was SO nice to be able to get together with family and just relax, laugh, and catch up. I hope this was the first of many visitors to stop by for a fun evening visit (hint hint to all you readers out there!)

8.) We started back to school

Caleb is definitely enjoying 2nd year of school better than 1st. He is enjoying his classes and still enjoying working for the energy group he worked for the first half of the summer. They are in the middle of recruitment for firm jobs next summer so we would definitely appreciate prayers! As much as I like my classes, I am definitely ready to be done with school. I LOVE my internship at the Pentagon - too bad the entire government is under a hiring freeze so I have to search for a real job in a TERRIBLE environment. If anyone hears of anyone hiring between now and next May LET ME KNOW!!!

9.)We  enjoyed our sunday school class's girls and guys night out.

Despite the baby boom in our sunday school class (seriously... like 9 babies!) we have started making some good friends! Last weekend we had separate guys and girls night out. The guys hung out, played video games and had a bonfire. The girls ate appetizers, played a game and chatted the night away. 

10.) We finally finished the apartment with the guest room linens and outdoor futon cover!

My apartment is now complete!!! Which means.... I expect people to come visit soon!!! I have a guest pet, an adorable puppy, fresh herbs to cook delicious food... what's stopping you? And, that is the month of September for you. Well... up until the 28th... but I'll save that for a separate post. I'm still trying to get over my co-worker congratulating me on being half-way to 50..... ugh!



And one to grow on..... I turned 25! Check back in for a few days for an update on my birthday - it was definitely eventful!

No comments:

Post a Comment