Saturday, August 14, 2010

WE MADE IT!!!!

WE MADE IT!!!! And it seems like so much has happened since I last posted I have enough info for 100 posts! Here is the brief version.....


Micah and Kelsey are married!!!!!


The wedding was absolutely beautiful and the reception so much fun! I officially now have my 4th sister! Sunday after the wedding, we had one last family lunch with Caleb's family before my parents picked us up to hit the road. We thought it would be a good idea to leave the uhaul at the church and just have them pick us up in the 4runner and then go back to the truck because Caleb's street is so hilly. However.... we didn't think about that the car would have the seats down in the back and be completely packed with stuff. So..... this is how me and my mom road back to the uhaul



It was interesting but at least it distracted us from crying as we drove away. Our first stop was Nashville. I should probably stop here and say that the only pictures I took between here and DC were of Scarlett. By the end of each day, having driven/rode in the 4runner with the dog or in the uhaul I was so tired and so gross I definitely didn't want to take pictures of myself so......


Here is Scarlett at the hotel in Nashville

Here is Scarlett in the hotel in Harrisonburg, VA


Here is Scarlett in our new place saying please don't put me in the car anymore!

We finally made it in to Arlington, VA around lunch last Tuesday and the moving craziness began. The initial plan was for us to live here for a year and then move somewhere else. Let's just say that after moving everything in here, we won't be going anywhere for a long time.

We are learning that the 9th floor has its advantages and disadvantages. It took a couple of days but we have finally convinced Scarlett to use her puppy pad on the balcony. We still try to take her down to the park out front at least once/twice a day, but for the rest of the time, the balcony it is!

We thought it would be nice that we are facing the park and not the busy street and mall, which it is, BUT the park has a public soccer field and I promise you people are out there 24-7 playing. We like to leave our balcony door open for some fresh air, but then you have to listen to them hoop and holler over there. Caleb thinks we should find the schedules, pick teams and actually start following them.

Alot of people have been asking, and where we live is technically Arlington, VA. We live in an area called Pentagon City which is right on the metro. We live just down the street from the Pentagon, just across the river from DC, and just North of Alexandria. If you walk out our front door, you walk straight to a park. If you walk straight out the back door, you walk about 20 feet into a Nordstroms (HEAVEN!!!!) Attached to the Nordstroms is a Ritz Carlton and a 4 story mall full of EVERYTHING you could ever want. The metro itself is actually beneath the mall so its SUPER close. Across the street from the mall is a California Pizza Kitchen, Best Buy, Costco, Nordstrom Rack, and a Mexican food restaurant that's not too bad (yay!) If you walk the other direction, there is a nice area called Pentagon row. It's got lots of shops/cafes on the bottom floors and then apartments above. There is a Champs, Bally's fitness, Bed Bath and Beyond, Smoothie King, Harris Teeter (our grocery store), etc. etc. So we basically live within reach of anything we could need. It took about 2 days to find but if you drive 2 miles we can get to a Target and a movie theater.

Even though our apartment is not that big it has taken FOREVER to get everything put away. We also had to wait a week once we got here for them to come set up cable and internet (which is why this blog post is so delayed). It is just now finally starting to feel like a real house. Here are a few pictures of the more "finished" rooms:







I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this kitchen. The one in our first place (which I from here on will refer to as "the hole" was so old and nasty. This kitchen has stainless steel appliances, and an oven that actually works, a nice microwave, a sprayer connected to the sink, the dishwasher actually cleans the dishes, and there is counter space! AHHHHH I LOVE it! I drug Caleb to Whole Foods with me to load up with good food (his comment is that he approves of the food but doesn't feel very manly in there so from here on out I have to shop by myself). My mother-in-law also makes the BEST chocolate chip cheesecake, so to honor my new kitchen, I made one:




Here are a few pictures of/from our balcony.

Our view of the soccer field

My plant and Scarlett's puppy pad

Scarlett LOVES her new home

Ok, this is the last room I'm posting for the night. When you first walk into our apartment, there are two closets immediately to the right. One is our linen/trash/cleaning supply/junk closet and the other is the pantry. The kitchen is to the left and the living room walks straight through to the balcony.







Yes, I know. We have alot of books..... We also want to put a few pictures on the wall but we can't seem to find any good ones... like old black and white or DC landmarks etc. We're still looking but its a good start. Our "entertainment center" is actually 4 different pieces from ikea (Caleb hated me for making him put them together but they were cheap!) and then our tv. I LOVE it! It makes it look like an entertainment center even though its just bookcases and dvd shelves. As you probably noticed, no, we do not have a dining room table. Sadly, it was one of the pieces of furniture that did not make it out of College Station when the trailer was too full. Sooooo, until further notice we are eating on TV trays. I kind of like it. I think it fits us... two poor students living in the big city haha. O well.

Well, I better turn in. We tried a church last weekend that we liked and are going back to visit a Sunday school class there tomorrow. I'll update again soon and show off some of the other rooms! Also, if there is anyone else that you think would enjoy reading this or keeping track of us, feel free to pass it along! Goodnite!

1 comment:

  1. everything looks so great! I'm glad y'all are getting settled in and figuring out where everything is. Such an exciting time!!

    ReplyDelete