Thursday, February 17, 2011

Happy Valentines/Single Awareness Day!

Well this post is a few days late but I have been a little under the weather the last few days. But I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentines/SAD (Single Awareness Day)! No matter what you celebrate I hope everyone treated themselves nicely!

Per my last post, my V-day started a bit early with my trip to the tea shop on Saturday. On Monday I had quite a few meetings with professors on campus, so I rode up to school early. As I rode up the metro escalator I was bombarded by V-day. First, the weather was FANTASTIC- the sun was out, the wind was calm, people were running around in shorts (it was seriously 60 degrees!). As I rode the escalator up from the metro, my usual vendors who sell umbrellas, fur hats and bags were selling chocolates, v-day decorations, and flowers. My homeless people who are usually playing tragic songs on their saxes and trumpets were playing Sinatra and happy love songs. It seriously looked like Valentines had thrown up on the Foggy Bottom metro station. I loved it!

AND, since me and Caleb were on campus at the same time (which never happens this semester), we met at a little shop and had lunch together! It would have been nice to have the rest of the afternoon off to play outside, but I had all my meetings and then class until 8. Unfortunately, by then the weather was back to being FREEZING and WINDY. But, my Valentine was sweet enough to come pick me up so I didn't have to walk through the wind back to the metro.

I should back up and say that apparently everyone goes out to dinner on V-day here. We have been looking for a dinner reservation for weeks but everything was booked. We could either eat dinner at 4 or 1030 and most of the restaurants have fixed priced menus that night that cost like $70-100 per person. RIDICULOUS!

Luckily, we finally found a steak place just one metro stop away at Crystal City that would let us eat at 9:30. It was FANTASTIC! Especially since we don't get to have steak very often :)
When we got home, I walked in and had a whole bouquet of roses waiting for me! I am going to post a picture, by I should preface it by saying I forgot to take a picture until the next day after they had sat in direct sunlight the whole day and wilted quite a bit, so don't worry, Caleb got BEAUTIFUL roses, they just didn't look quite as great by the time I took the picture...


So, I had a GREAT first Valentine's day in DC. Don't worry... Caleb had a good one too. We are getting him an Iphone for Vday but we need to work out a few kinks first. I'm sure I'll dedicate a post to when he finally gets it!

Annnnnd, can't forget Scarlett! She got an entire bacon/cheddar Beggin Strip Monday morning and after Caleb and I got back from dinner, I folded the laundry which is one of her favorite things. I usually don't let her indulge like this (especially because it hacks off Caleb), but seeing as it was Valentines Day...

We have some fun things planned for this weekend so check back for more posts soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment