Friday, April 22, 2011

Softly Call the Muster

April 21st is a special day for Aggies. It's Muster, the day that Aggies gather together worldwide to honor the lives that we have lost in the past year. As they like to pitch it:

“If there is an Aggie in one hundred miles of you, you are expected to get together, eat a little, and live over the days you spent at the A&M College of Texas.”

And that is exactly what I did last night with 350 Aggies. This was actually my first Muster away from College Station where it is mostly just the student body. Unfortunately DC is the land of money, and it was a little too pricey. They were kind enough to reduce the price for me to go if I would help volunteer. Basically it meant sitting at the t-shirt and raffle ticket table for 2 hours.

I know if sounds corny, but the couple of hours that I escaped to the basement of the Grand Hyatt in DC were some of the best hours I've had in a long time. EVERYONE was from Texas, EVERYONE was friendly, and EVERYONE genuinely cared for one another. I'd never met 99% of those people before in my life, but the fact that we all went to A&M at some point, whether class of 1933 or 2013, we were all friends. We could laugh and joke and complain about DC and reminisce about College Station. It was fantastic! I even got to see my friend Lindsay who I haven't seen since we both worked at the study abroad office at school.

But Muster isn't just about getting together and enjoying each others' company. Muster is a time for reflection and honor. After dinner, we all had the privilege of listening to the guest speaker, Becky Gates, Secretary of Defense Bob Gates' wife. She was great. Then we started the ceremony. We sang the national anthem, and then Texas our Texas. It was sweet to watch the older people get choked up when they sang "God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong. That you may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long." It's good to know I'm not the only person who misses Texas!

After that they give the history of Muster and the significance of this day for all Aggies. They also read some of my favorite Muster poems. Here are a few clips of my favorites:

In many lands and climes this April day
Proud sons of Texas A&M unite.
Our loyalty to country, school, we pray,
and seal our pact with bond of common might.

We live again those happy days of yore
on campus, field, in classroom, dorm, at drill
Fond memory brings a sigh -- but nothing more;
Now we are men and life’s a greater thrill,
Before we part and go upon our way,
We pause to honor those we knew so well;
The old familiar faces we miss so much today
Left cherished recollections that time cannot dispel.

Softly call the Muster,
Let comrade answer, “Here!”
Their spirits hover ‘round us
As if to bring us cheer!

Mark them ‘present’ in our hearts.
We’ll meet some other day
There is no death, but life etern
For our old friends such as they!

In Memoriam:
We stood a little taller,
and a little prouder then
When we heard the call of Muster
and the Roll Call just begin.
We stood there all together
and wiped away the tears
When our names were called out softly
and answered with a “Here!”
... and so we’ve joined together
with our brothers of the past
To make our final resting place at
Aggieland our last.
We take a toast to our brotherhood
wherever they may roam,
For us the trek is over
Aggieland we’re coming home.



I get chills when I hear them. It really makes you think about all of the Aggies who have gone before us and those who will come after us. I love that they say, Aggieland with always change, but the Aggie spirit will never change.
 
We gather here to mark the day Aggies proudly stand.
To honor those who've gone before to the promised land.
Each name is called upon the roll, comrades answer "Here."
Trumpets sound their sad good-bye to those we held so dear.
All heads are bowed in silent pledge never to forget.
While rifles fire their last salute echoes answer yet.
To their mem'ry we'll be true; we will take their place.
One for all and all for one ever in Thy grace.
We'll meet again another day, reunion while we pray
To ask Thy blessing on each one on this Muster day,
Aggie Muster Day.


And that is exactly what we do. They read the names of those who have passed in the past year. Some go back as far as class of the 1930s, whereas some were class of 2013, still college students. Whether it was their family or their friend or a classmate, someone would say "Here" for them. Because once and Aggie, always an Aggie, even in death. They also would light a candle for them. After all names were read, they played Silver Taps and we sang the The Spirit of Aggieland. It truly was a beautiful ceremony. Some people say it's creepy, but it is nice to know that one April 21st (hopefully a long time from now!) people worldwide will be standing up and saying "Here" for me, whether that is Caleb, my sorority sisters, my friends, my children, or even my grandchildren.

Before we left, they charged us "to remain firm in your loyalty to your country and your God...To keep warm in your hearts your affection for each other and for our Alma Mater, and may God be with us all until we meet again" Of course, they also couldn't let us leave without knowing that a place called "Hill Country BBQ" had opened in DC and had pretty good Texas Barbecue and.......... BLUEBELL ICE CREAM!!!! There were lots of whoops for that! I really didn't want to leave, but after singing the Aggie War Hymn and rocking with my new friends, it was time to return to reality.

This was by far the best Muster I've ever experienced. I think it meant more now that I'm far away from my friends and family. It's nice to know that in all this craziness and with all these mean Northern people, there are still Aggies around who love and care about you, no matter what! So... I guess that will have to do until April 21st next year : )

No comments:

Post a Comment