Monday, May 23, 2011

First Baptist Bombers!

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but Caleb and I play on our church's co-ed softball team. We both love and grew up playing baseball/softball and this sounded like a really fun opportunity. Well... I should back up and say that Caleb signed up first thinking it was an all-male team, apparently he doesn't believe in co-ed softball BUT then we found the team was co-ed so I signed up too!

Our team is quite the interesting mix. We have high school girls, couples, tattooed and pierced brothers, a crazy old guy whose got to be 70, former college baseball players, and baseball wannabees, and us. We are quite the motley crew. For some reason our team hasn't really taken to us. They seem to think we don't know how/can't play. I'm not saying we are olympic quality athletes, but we know how to play softball. On top of that, our coach hasn't really felt it necessary to learn my name. At the first game he referred to me as Elizabeth the whole time. Weird. Then we have missed the last few weeks while we were home, but when we showed up again tonight, he introduced us to the team as having never played before (must've forgot about the first game) and introduced us as Caleb and Elizabeth! What gives? Do I look like an Elizabeth. Strike 1 on Coach Dave - who falls into my category of thinks he's hot stuff but makes at least 3 errors per game.

We also have quite the interesting uniforms. Coach Dave decided to order us jerseys, which sounded like a great idea. Except that he wanted 3/4 length shirts...... for summer league? Who wears long sleeves in the summer? So weird. Plus, instead of just getting tshirts or something, he found $25 shirts. I think that is ridiculous, but we paid for our jerseys and requested what size and number we wanted. The shirts came in while we were in Dallas, so we requested that he bring our shirts tonight. Somehow he no longer had my small shirt that I ordered. I still don't know how that happened. But we showed up and he handed me my medium which was a long sleeve shirt on me. Great.... looks like Elizabeth will be playing softball in summer heat in a long-sleeve shirt. I tried to keep the sleeves rolled up but didn't have much luck. Strike 2 Coach Dave....


The good news is that our jersey's aren't the worst out there. I'm so bummed I didn't get a picture, but I couldn't find an opportunity to take one that wouldn't be too obvious. Tonight we beat the #1 ranked team with uniforms worse than ours. Their shirts had a giant clock in the middle with a heart inside it with a cross inside that. If that wasn't corny enough, further down on their shirts over their stomach area is a face. Yes, a human face on their jersey. From the dugout I couldn't quite make out whose face that was. I asked Caleb if we were playing a team with Jesus' face on their jersey.... Luckily, at the end of the game when we shook hands, I was able to get an up close glimpse. Turns out, we beat a Lutheran Church team, because that was the face of Martin Luther on their jerseys. I'm not sure whether that is sad or funny haha. All I know is my long sleeve jersey isn't as ridiculous as that.

In our win tonight, I made a pretty good play out in right field and Caleb got a triple, so we are definitely doing our part for the team. Unfortunately, I won't be hear for our next 2 games since I'll be overseas, so I'm sure when I get back I'll be back to being Elizabeth in the long-sleeve jersey. Oh well. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment