Friday, December 3, 2010

Adventures on the Beltway

Let me start by saying that I was literally up all-night writing a final paper for a class. I finished up about 7am this morning and I had to drop Scarlett to get groomed between 8-10. Usually, I drop her, come home and nap until she was finished. Since I haven't slept in awhile, I knew that I couldn't go home because I would never get back up, so instead I chose to spend my morning wandering the beltway. Here are a few of my adventures:

The first place that I went was hobby lobby. I needed some ribbon and tags for Christmas gifts. 1 hour and $40 later, I left with a hand-full of crafts. As I have started decorating our apartment for Christmas, I have realized just how few decorations I actually have! I've now bought a pre-lit tree, a few ornaments to go with the ones that my M-I-L so wonderfully gave me last year, and after today, we will have stockings. I bought plain ones and all sorts of things to decorate them with. My mama made us all stockings when we were little and they are covered with decorations and such that describe that person. So, hopefully I will get some time in the near future to be crafty so that Caleb, Scarlett and I can have stockings. If you know me... you know that crafts are not my skill. I can't cut straight, still can't color in the lines, and tend to get more glue on me than on my craft. So, this could be a very big disaster. Either way, I'll post pictures : )

After Michaels, I found a Borders bookstore. I had absolutely no reason to go in there, but for some reason I parked and wandered for about another hour. Luckily I had enough self-control not to buy anything here.

From there, I googled chickfila to find some lunch. If there is anything I have learned these first few months in DC, its that googlemaps on my iphone is trash. It gives crazy/incorrect directions and they are always confusing (at one point it told me to drive down 2nd street in DC.... if I had done that, I literally would have driven my car straight through the Capital building). Anyways, the chickfila it led me to was in the shadiest mall in the world. But, by the time I drove over there, I was too tired and hungry for chicken to turn around. So, I braved the half-deserted mall and interesting crowd to get my chickfila. While I ate, I got to watch a woman scold her obviously high-school age daughter and her boyfriend about being pregnant... again... she already had what looked to be a 2 year old and 6 month old.... wow. The problem with staying up all night is that you seem to lose your usual senses. I just couldn't help staring. I know that they knew I was staring... but I just couldn't help it! I really felt like I was in an alternate reality in that mall. So, I chose to not even wander the halls but leave immediately when I was done.

My next stop was Petsmart. To be honest, I wasn't going to go in. Caleb gets mad because I always buy Scarlett stuff. She really did need some new bones, and if I didn't go in there, I would have had to go in Starbucks and grade papers. Not only did I not want to grade, but I've had so much coffee the last few days to keep me awake that just the sight of Starbucks made me want to gag.

Anyways, as I was going through this debate in my mind, I missed my turn and ended up in the parking lot behind Petsmart. There was nothing back there but a cage with 2 guinea pigs in it... which I found rather bizarre. I parked in the front, went in, bought bones, a doggie bed and a doggie sweater (i know... i splurged!) and headed to the checkout where I asked the cashier if she knew there was a cage of guinea pigs in the back parking lot.... You would have thought I told her a human was dying back there. She called she 3 other co-workers over the intercom, CODE RED CODE RED and they all went RUNNING out the front door. As I stood there with my credit card in my hand and my jaw probably on the floor, I could not figure out what in the world had just happened. A few minutes later they returned with the guinea pigs calling me a "hero" and asking me if I wanted to have them. I considered it for about 2 seconds before I realized that Caleb might kill me if I brought home 2 guines pigs. Sure enough, the first thing he said when I told him about rescuing the guinea pigs was "you're not going to bring those home are you?" Figures.... Oh well, I just figured the guinea pigs must be cold, it was like 30 degrees today! But, I guess I'll let them call me a hero for that... I do still have a soft spot for guinea pigs : )

Luckily, Scarlett was ready after that. I picked her up, brought her home and went and got my haircut. So, that ends my crazy day of adventures out on the beltway. I had better get back to Christmas gift wrapping so that I can start on my crazy stocking project!

No comments:

Post a Comment