Friday, December 3, 2010

Thanksgiving!!!

This year was my first year to cook Thanksgiving. We have all been jokingly calling it our "Friends" Thanksgiving. If you never watched the show, every season they have a Thanksgiving episode. The first season, Monica has to cook Thanksgiving for everyone and they all want it cooked a different way. I faced the same problem. Everybody wanted something different! What we ended up with, was....Turkey, biscuits, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, potatoes delicious, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie and chocolate pie. I must admit that I had NO IDEA how exhausting cooking a meal that big was! By the time it was all done, I was seriously too tired to even eat it! Here are a few pictures of my delicious meal!







I have to be honest and say that my first Thanksgiving meal was not uneventful. My turkey gave me a run for my money. I should have listened to my gran and not even tried to cook a turkey. But, here is the tragic story of my 1st turkey.

So I bought a 15 pound turkey and kept him in my freezer. 4 days before Thanksgiving, I put him in my fridge to thaw (side note- grace is not a huge fan that i refer to my turkey as a he- she says its not okay to personalize your food). So, IT was thawed (we thought) the night before thanksgiving. We took him out and attempted to remove the giblet. The problem- none of us knew the anatomy of a turkey and could not figure out exactly where to pull them out. After an SOS call to my mother-in-law, Caleb pulled out a sack of giblets. We assumed that was all there was to that.... so we cleaned the turkey, salted and buttered it, wrapped him tight an put him in the oven.






 Unfortunately, the next day when it came time to take him out of the oven, we pulled back the foil and he looked like this......
We immediately new that something was wrong. He just didn't look right. So I SOS called my gran. She told us to put him back in the oven for awhile, which we did, and then ate him. Unfortunately, when Caleb cut it open, we discovered another bag of giblets (which of course we did not tell wade or grace). I also thought he tasted funny so I didn't eat much of it. Caleb and the dog, on the other hand, thoroughly enjoyed their Thanksgiving turkey.... until....

Friday morning when Grace and I hit the malls, I received 2 bad texts from Caleb. The first said that he was not feeling well as all. The 2nd said that while we were out, that I needed to buy a new pillow because the dog wasn't feeling good either. Not knowing exactly what that meant, I bought a new pillow.

We came home to chaos. We had a very ill person and dog on our hands. And it was not fun. The poor things were sick for a few days before we realized just how bad my turkey experiment was. While horribly embarassing that I gave food poisoning to people with my first turkey, people keep telling me that one day I'll think it's funny. Everytime I hear that, I tell them to say that to Caleb and my dog. O well, it's a Thanksgiving for the ages! I hope eveyone else had a great turkey day!

No comments:

Post a Comment