Saturday, September 4, 2010

The First Week of School

Before I discuss my first week of school, I first have to say how glad I am that college football is back. To top it off, we woke up this morning to a BEAUTIFUL day- sunny, slight breeze, 75 degrees - football weather! Unfortunately, I am quickly learning the downside to the East Coast means that I get to watch Big Ten football. Awesome. And while watching the Liberty Flames play the St. Francis Red Flashes is interesting, I would much rather be watching my Aggies. O well. Football is football and Michigan is currently winning, so its a good day so far.

Anyways, back to school. Tuesday was my first day and I actually TA-ed a class before attending one of my own. Tuesday and Thursday I am TA-ing Ambassador Indefurth's Film and Foreign Policy class. On Tuesday, class starts at 3:45pm. I showed up at 3 just in case something came up, I would be prepared. Sure enough, I was right. I walked in and he immediately handed me multiple articles that he wanted copied on different colors in different ways. No problem. I headed to the copy room and got it done. Next problem, he had not yet approved the corrections to the syllabus that his assistant had made and she had to leave at 3:15. So I waited outside his office for him to give me the final copy so that I could run copies before having to run down to the classroom and set up the film. 3:30.... 3:35...3:40. I was panicking. At 5 minutes to class, he hands me the syllabus and the film. I had 5 minutes to make 70 copies of the syllabus (stapled), run down to the basement, set up the film on the equipment (not easy) and take roll because he needed to take a personal phone call and would be a few minutes late. Seriously!!!! Good thing I like intense situations! Everything got done in time and class went great! I think I'm really going to enjoy working for that class.

My class on Tuesday is called "Uses and Misuses of History in International Affairs." Apparently most sections are exactly the same- read the same books, same material, etc. HOWEVER, I guess there is one section that is different and of course I someone signed up for it. It is still the title, but that class is focused on the former soviet union and central asia. So it is right up my ally! My professor works at the State Department in the Bureau of Intelligence by day and teaches us by night so he has some great experiences to draw on. It's alot of reading but I'm really excited about it.

Wednesday- At 930 in the morning I am TA-ing a class called "Intro the Russia and Eurasia." It is taught by a Puerto Rican professor (go figure) teaching for the first time so its a bit of a challenge. At least I really like the material and its a great reminder of things I've studied in the past. After this class I don't have my own class until 5pm so Caleb and I had a lunch date in the student center and then found a quiet area in my building to do some homework together. It was nice to actually get to see a little bit of each other that day. My Wed. class is the mandatory Intro to International Affairs class in my program. For 2 hours we listen to a professor and Ambassador Inderfurth lecture us and then we have 2 more hours of discussion. Again, alot of reading, but seems interesting.

Thursday- I hold office hours for the film class at 4pm but until then, I actually have a free day! To be nice, I prepped Caleb's dinner (since I don't get home until 930). It's a little weird to make a lasagna at 10am but I'm sure I'll get used to the routine. As expected, no one showed up for my office hours but the Ambassador had some interesting "tasks" for me to work on so I wasn't bored! His class meets on Thursdays from 5-630 to discuss the film from Tuesday. His students are very opinionated and very vocal so it should be interesting!

From 7-9 I have my own last class of the week. This was the one that really got to me. It's my into to security class. One of the things I have quickly realized is that I am one of the youngest in the school, not just age wise but in experience. Usually I can find someone with at least 2-3 years of my age, but not in this class. We had to go around the room and talk about what we did. Most of the students are currently working in the State Department, Department of Defense, on the Hill; their positions have taken them to Yemen, China, Africa, etc. It was EXTREMELY overwhelming to listen to their experiences. That class is completely discussion based- their knowledge and experiences are so advanced to mine that I was terrified to open up my mouth. That class is DEFINITELY going to be a challenge.

Friday's I don't have class (yay!) so I did some Crossmark work yesterday. I attempted to drive around DC which I have learned was a mistake. Either take the metro in or don't go- traffic was a NIGHTMARE! I am also learning the "lingo" up here pretty quick. For example, I don't go to school in DC, I go to school in "the district;" we don't live in Virginia, we live in "the commonwealth;" people don't work at the state department, they work at "state;" its not the department of defense, its "DoD." People look at you funny if you say it wrong so I'm trying to pick up the lingo. It feels like everything is an abbreviation up here.

Today has been clean the apartment day. Things are so wild between Tuesday and Thursday that nothing gets done around here. We also realized today that we have yet to clean Scarlett's potty mat out on the balcony. I figured it couldn't be too bad to do. WRONG. That is one of the most disgusting things I've ever done and Caleb didn't help at all it was so gross. Needless to say, it will NEVER get that bad again. Luckily I've had college football to help me get through it.

O! I forgot the other great news from this week. On Wed. we became an aunt and uncle again! Baby Samuel was born and the pictures are absolutely precious!!!! I can't believe we won't get to see him until Christmas! Congratulations to Josh, Mandy and Noah.

I haven't posted pictures in awhile, so I figure it is time to unleash these on the world. Caleb and I had our student IDs made (they are called GWorld cards). Caleb likes to say that we have crazy eyes in them, I choose to believe we are just wide-eyed and excited students! You may make your own judgements...


Everyone enjoy college football Saturday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment