Thursday, September 9, 2010

Tuesday-Thursday

It has been a BUSY couple of days. Since all of my classes are Tuesday-Thursday, those days all just seem to run together. First, I should start by confessing that I lied to one of my professors last week. She started the first day of class by saying, "I'm sure that you all read the Washington Post and New York Times everyday in addition to The Economist, Time Magazine and other periodicals." Of course I shook my head yes that of course I do and promptly went home and ordered subscriptions to all of the above. Caleb was thrilled. He's been wanting a paper subscription for awhile. It really has been nice to read all of them!

Wednesday is my crazy day. I TA from 930-11 and then don't have my own class until 5-9. It's kind of a waste to ride home, so I try to do work on campus. This week I decided it was time to brave the library and print off all of my readings for the next 3 weeks (thousands of pages). I didn't realize what a ridiculous task this would be. It doesn't sound like it should be hard, but GW found a way....

First, you go into the library and sit at a computer. Open your files and click print. Here is where it gets tricky, they don't actually print! You have to title your document that you want to print (in my case Stepho1, Stepho2, etc.). You click print. It still doesn't print. Once you have done this for all of the documents you want to print, you log off of that computer. You then go to wait in line for another computer. At this computer you have to swipe your student ID (which hopefully has 9cents/page you are going to print on it) and wait for it to load. When it opens, it shows EVERY document that EVERY student in the library has "saved" in the last 2 hours..... You have to search through them all and then hit print individually. Once you hit "print," it loads and takes approximately 1 minute before it prints you article. Of course, I had 48 print jobs. I was in the library over 2 hours..... by the time I finished I was in a FOUL mood. Just in time for my lunch date with Caleb : )

Luckily, Caleb has a break in the afternoon so we usually have lunch dates somewhere on campus and then go study together somewhere for a few hours. I have a quiet area in my school where I usually go, but this week it was not quiet at all. I ended up giving up on reading and sleeping on the couch for awhile.

I spent 13 hours on campus on Wed. It was not fun. Well, maybe part of it was fun. When I got to the class I TA, the professor did not show up until 25 minutes late!!! The students got kind of antsy so I had to vamp. I took attendance, answered questions about the course, introduced myself, told my life story and spent about 5 minutes talking about Scarlett before he luckily showed up. They didn't seem to think that she was as cool of a dog as I did. O well. This professor grew up in Puerto Rico. His mom is from Hungary, his dad is Columbian, and he studied in Cuba.... He teaches Russian history.... Ya. This is also his first time teaching so after class he always asks me for advice and tells me to tell him what to do. Like I know? O well, its an experience

I like Thursdays because I don't have to be at school until my office hours at 4pm. Usually this is an interesting hour because it is when I find out what strange assignment the Ambassador has for me. Today, I only had to make one copy BUT he told me that we were taking a field trip. Seriously? A field trip!

I should back up by saying that this week we watched The Quiet American on Tuesday and read the book for today. The students have been studying the Vietnam War and it had really been interesting to listen to them discuss what they have learned and bounce ideas off of the Ambassador. So, he felt like it would be appropriate, after discussion today, to walk down to the Vietnam Memorial. Personally, I found it a little humorous but also inspiring to watch an Ambassador walk 60 students of all different backgrounds down to the Vietnam Memorial. I have pictures but my phone is not cooperating and I can't upload them. Maybe another day...

Well, its very late and I better get to bed. I have a busy day of Eggo Waffle Auditing and putting 55 cent off labels on Zyrtec for Crossmark tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment