Monday, September 20, 2010

Russian Lesson

A part of my MA program is a language component. I'm not allowed to graduate until I can pass a Russian exam showing that I have advanced intermediate level speaking, reading, and writing skills. Now, while I would LOVE to claim fluency, its been awhile since I used my Russian and lack of use = forgotten.

It became very quickly apparent to me during orientation that my language skills were in BIG trouble. Luckily, I have the entire 2 year program to get my skills up to snuff before I attempt the exam. Basically, that left me with 4 options:
1) Take Russian classes at GW (yah right, they cost thousands of dollars apiece...)
2) Take Russian classes at the USDA (I would, but they are offered at night, while I'm in class)
3) Try and teach myself (haha, seriously? That is highly unlikely)
4) Get a personal tutor

I did lots of research and actually got a recommendation for a professor. There is a girl, named Gulnur Valliuovna, who lives in Silver Spring, Maryland. She is a native Russian. If I would be willing to ride the train to Silver Spring every Sunday afternoon, she would give me a lesson for $20. I've been doing that the last few weeks and she is AWESOME! She makes me speak in Russian, requires me to do extensive homework (grammar and vocab) during the week, makes me write a paper each week which she grades, and we are now working on listening comprehension. She's awesome but she kicks my butt, which is exactly what I need.  So, hopefully I can claim fluency soon!

Side note- I would like to especially thank Gulnur for my lesson this week because she saved me from having to watch the embarassment and humiliation that was the cowboys game. As my mom told me, I chose a good time to leave the state because they may never win again.... That may be true but I just don't know if I could become a Deadskin fan. I think I'd rather not be a fan at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment