Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Spring Classes

Well, school is officially back in session. I’m not totally sure how I feel about that. I am taking another full load… which I’m sure will be a challenge with working full time. Monday nights I only have 1 class- Geopolitics of Eurasian Energy. I’m SUPER excited about this class, but when I told my mom its title she just laughed at me. Oh well, I think its interesting. The weirdest part of that class was that they changed the location. GW’s campus stretches pretty much from E to H, and the metro is on I. They changed the location to 2020 K street. Which I thought was bizarre. Sure enough, as I was running through town in the freezing cold, once I got to 2020 K street, I found myself starting at a Fedex/Kinkos. Weird. I circled the block twice before I noticed a very small glass door to the far right of the FedEx. The sign on it was almost unreadable, but it said “GW University.” So no, I do not have class in a Fedex/Kinkos, but I do have class right beneath it. Other than that I LOVE the class. The professor is very laid back and most interested in covering what we want to learn about AND most of the other students are really interested in Central Asian/Caucasus energy so I am SUPER pumped!


Tuesday, class was not quite the positive experience Monday was. Tuesday I work all day and then have 2 back-to-back classes until 9pm. Gross! My first class is Transnational Security which I was extremely interested in. The professor came in and immediately announced that the class will have a massive reading load and that he is completely uninterested in current events or practical matters. He is a political scientist, so we will be looking at transnational security from an empirical and political scientist background. Awesome. To top it off, he’s a monotone and totally rambles on and on in circles. He kept us the entire 2 hours the first day and all we talked about was the syllabus….. When we walked out this girl who I actually find to be quite dull and boring herself turned to me and said “I seriously felt like jumping out the window because I was so bored”- Very ironic, but true!

I’m not exactly sure what I was thinking scheduling 2 classes back to back, and not in the same building, but I figured running across campus couldn’t be bad for me? What I didn’t take into consideration, is that when my class ended and I rushed outside, it was POURING snow. Not only did this make me extremely wet and slow down my progress, but it was SLICK! I almost totally bit it several times. I’m going to have to strategize a new plan for next week because I looked like a complete wet, out-of-breath mess when I burst into my Survey of International Trade and Finance (the nice title for saying Economics) late.

At this point you are probably asking yourself- why in the world is Stephanie taking economics. Good question- not by choice. It’s a required class, so I’m sucking it up, crossing my fingers and saying a few prayers. The good news is that my professor is actually pretty encouraging. She’s young and flat out told us that she knows we aren’t taking the class by choice- so we’ll have “fun” with it. During our intro lesson we had to decide on 2 items that our fictitious country would produce and consume, but they had to start with S and T. She told us to be careful because these 2 items are what we will produce/consume for the entire semester, so choose wisely- right about the time I thought to myself, tomatoes and sock…. Tape and superglue…. Etc. Tequila and Scotch got thrown out there. Awesome. All I can say is Tuesday nights from 7-9 is going to make for LONG nights. So from now on, Tuesday evenings, when you are lounging on your couch in your pajamas, watching TV and eating your dinner, you can think of me running across campus in the snow, trying not to kill myself and destroying my brain trying to comprehend economics.

Tonight was my 4th and final class. The good news about this one is that it is a 1 credit professional course and will be over in 6 weeks. I am taking Alternative Analysis- Red Team. If you are asking yourself what in the world is that- you are not alone. Basically, its the new rave since 9/11 and the goal is analyzing intelligence failures and determining new methodologies and ways to analyze intelligence in order to prevent such failures in the future. Essentially it is learning to think and analyze differently which is pretty intriguing. Plus my friend Lindsay is in that class, so at least it will be fun!
 
Well its late and tomorrow I have to work until 7pm. I am really regretting getting suckered into the "staying late" shift on Thursdays and Fridays. BUT, I guess that happens when you are low man on the totem poll. Man am I ready to work my way up....

No comments:

Post a Comment