Saturday, October 30, 2010

Howl-o-ween Paw-ty!!!

Halloween was never a huge holiday for my family. We weren't allowed to trick-or-treat so instead we had family night. We'd make a big bowl of potato cheese soup and dye it orange, we'd pass out candy to the other kids who came by our house, and we would play pool and ping-pong. My dad always beat us... but it was fun anyways.

Now that I'm an adult, I'm still not that into Halloween. Dressing up as slutty anything just isn't on my to-do list. AND, since I don't have children to dress in adorable costumes yet, I had to go to plan B.

A few weeks ago I discovered the glory of meetup.com. They have a group for EVERYTHING! While I was on there looking for ways to practice my Russian language, I got distracted when I saw a link to the "Northern Virginia Pomeranian Group." Of course I joined.

So, today, I took Scarlett to the 3rd Annual, Tricks for Treats Howl-o-Ween Paw-ty! I know what you're thinking... how lame (and you would sound just like Caleb who called me a loser and said he wouldn't be caught dead there) but it was actually fun! There were about 30 pomeranians and Scarlett got to play for almost 4 hours! The humans had a potluck lunch and we voted on the best costumes. The top three won their human a prize and then each owner brought their dog's favorite treat and we made "trick-or treat" goody bags for each pom to take home with them. Here are some pictures of my THIRD PLACE WINNING costume on Scarlett!

 She was a cow with a cowboy hat and bandana so you could either call her a country/Texas cow or a cowgirl
 She really hated the hat so most of the time she looked like this
 How precious is this?

 This is what she looked like running around. I love it!
The cow costume even came with an udder! I think this is ultimately what won us 3rd place

There were so many different pomeranians there- different ages, colors, and temperments. It was fun to watch them all interact. Plus, their costumes were adorable. Here are some of Scarlett's new friends:
 This is not a puppy... it's Mini... and she is 7. Look how small she is compared to Scarlett... and that guy's foot!
 This guy wasn't too social, but he and Scarlett hit it off. By the way, his costume is his "birthday suit"- I must admit it was beautiful!
 A few of the poms playing! Scarlett, a witch, and a devil
 This is Doobie dressed up like a bumble bee
 Seriously so cute!
 This was Murray dressed up as a vampire
 I'm not sure this dog's name... but it was not very nice.
 Riley the shark! I actually voted for him and he won 1st place for best costume!
 Another witch... who didn't like her hat
 This little guy was a puppy
Cocoa and Mini are sisters. How cute are they?

Scarlett had such a good time! She's so tired all she has done is sleep since we got home. The group actually tries to meet up at least once a month at a park for the dogs to play and then they throw parties for the holidays. I can't wait for the Christmas party!!!!

Halloween may not be my favorite holiday but this certainly made it more fun! Happy Halloween.... and GO RANGERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment