Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Town

Well... I think I am finally starting to feel like a "local" around here. I've learned when to take certain road and which train of the metro gives me the best opportunity to get a seat. I've learned (the hard way) which hours the grocery store is not packed with people and I actually feel comfortable giving people directions when I see tourists on the street.

I think I can also say that I have become a "regular" at the Starbucks on 20th and E street.... next to the Elliott School. Which... I guess is not a good thing. We may not know each other by name, but I "that person" that when I come in, by the time I get through the line and to the counter to order, all I have to do is pay because they've already made it for me.... They know I am a struggling Cowboys fan and try to convince me to join the dark side (deadskins) every time. They also make fun of the fact that I'm a Rangers fan and tell me this will be the least watched world series ever. The scariest thing is that they know my school schedule. I told one guy on Monday that I had a 10 page paper due on Thursday and that I hadn't started on it yet. He asked me about it the next day and offered suggestions on my writing block....


I am also starting to learn about weird "DC-isms." For example, did you know that last night was the 24th annual Drag Queen Race in Dupont Circle. And yes, its exactly how it sounds. Apparently its a HUGE deal. People bbq and party in the streets all day and then at 9pm, 100 people dressed in drag race about 3 blocks in high heels. My class literally got out early last night so that people could run over there and watch it. Oh, Dc....


So, this town is beginning to feel a bit like home. A crazy, frantic, stressed-out, over-caffeinated home, but home nonetheless. I can't wait to see what other DC-isms come out of the woodwork this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment