Monday, October 11, 2010

TCA Homecoming

I got to go home this past weekend and it was wonderful! We have hit the rough part of the semester, so a weekend to relax in Dallas and see my family was just what I needed!

Even better, it was my 5 year high school reunion! I can't believe I've been out of highschool for 5 years! Man the years have flown by! I flew home mid-Friday and spent the day driving around all my old favorite spots with my mom. We went and saw the movie Life as We Know It, which I highly recommend. It's very sad but also sweet. It's been awhile since a good romantic comedy came out. Anyways, that's beside the point. Friday night we went to the annual TCA Homecoming football game. Not alot of people from my class made it to the game but I did get to see my friend Laura and meet her precious little girl Scarlett!

I spent Saturday getting my nails done with my sister, watching all of my sports teams lose (apparently me coming back to Texas was a jinx), and seeing my sister off to the Homecoming dance. I remember those days where you spent all day primping before the millions of pictures, overpriced dinner, lousy dj and exhausting afterparty. One of Grace's friend's mom asked me during the pictures if I missed that. The answer was a definite no, but I remember how much fun they were back then...

Sunday I got to go to lunch with my gran, grandy and aunt Tammi at my favorite restaurant. I felt a little guilty that I was getting to eat it without Caleb... but not so bad that I did not make a pig of myself. I think my favorite part of the weekend was after lunch. Grace, my mom and I went back through my old high school year books, scrapbooks, and pictures. Let's just say we had a few laughs.

Sooooooo..... in honor of homecoming, I am dedicating the blog this week to some of my favorite high school memories, embarassing moments, and maybe a few things you didn't know about me.

Highschool Disaster #1- Yearbook pictures. To say that my yearbook pictures are bad would be the understatement of the century. I wasn't very "girly" in highschool, so having to make myself over for picture day was a pain, plus I had no idea what I was doing. I had long hair which I had no idea how to straighten, I did not usually wear makeup (too much trouble), and I didn't know you could/were supposed to tweeze/wax my eyebrows. I always wondered why I wasn't considered one of the "hot" girls in highschool. Looking back at these yearbook pictures explains alot.... haha

Observation A: Freshman Year


Observation B: Sophomore Year- ah the middle part years!



Observation C: Junior Year (I believe Grace's exact response was: what the heck is wrong with your hair!)



Senior Year- I actually like this one, so if you don't, it might be better not to tell me...
Luckily, one of the biggest lessons I have learned since highschool is that beauty is not just about your appearance but about your heart. The most important thing is for YOU to be happy with who you are and how you look. This was really difficult for me in high school, but I am glad for such wonderful college friends who taught me what true beauty is. While it was difficult back then, it is funny to look back now. At risk of never living it down, I am going to post Grace's favorite... my 4th grade yearbook picture. I must admit, I have absolutely NO idea how we got my hair to look like that- its HUGE, but since it was just 4th grade I'm tempted to blame this one on my mom....

No comments:

Post a Comment