Friday, October 15, 2010

Rascal and Sir Galahad

My sister is going to be horrified that I am posting this on the internet, but I feel it is important for this story to finally go public. The next random fact about me that you probably didn't know was that I used to have guinea pigs, and I loved them dearly. See, I didn't have alot of friends back in my middle school/early high school days, so I decided to have pets : )

My first guinea pig was named Rascal and he was albino. I used to brush him and I had a box that I carried him around the house everywhere. Here is his tragic tale (that has since become a joke in my family). Everyday before I went to school, I always said "goodbye rascal, see you after school." When I got home I immediately went to my room and checked on him and played with him. One day, I was in a huge hurry in the morning and left without saying goodbye. When I got home, I was upset about some stuff and didn't go immediately to me room. I suddenly panicked that I had not gone to say hello to him. When I went into my room, it looked like he was sleeping. I reached my hand into his cage, and he was cold. It was awful....

To say that I was traumatized would be a HUGE understatement. I mean you would have thought that a human being had died. My mom let me hold him and brush his fur one more time before we wrapped him in one of Grace's babydoll blankets, put him in a box, and buried him in the yard. We put a piece of marble on top with his dates and the lyrics to the Michael W. Smith song "Friends are Friends Forever" written on top in sharpy. We also placed a wooden cross there. In an effort to cheer me up, my parents took me to the movies that night. Unfortunately, we chose to see Armageddon, one of the most tragically ending movies ever. I wanted to sleep outside in a sleeping bag out by his grave that night but my dad told me I couldn't. RIP Rascal
I then got my second guinea pig to replace Rascal. I named him Sir Galahad because Sir Galahad was the second best knight after Sir Arthur. And, in my own reasoning, Laddy (as I called him) was the second best guinea pig after Rascal. He was a very good pet, but I actually don't remember exactly what happened to him. This picture is terribly embarassing, but it is the only one I have of laddy. I know I look like Medusa but those curlers were in style back then! Also notice the brush laid out as I have clearly been brushing his fur.

Anyways, all that to say that I was a really awesome person who had guinea pigs for pets. If you have never had them, I highly suggest them as faithful companions. Plus, they're big enough to ward off of pets/predators. My brother chose to have gerbils (all with names starting with P) and I think all 7+ of them died painful deaths due to our Scottie dog.... but that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment